1296... this year everyone knows (about 40). The middle ages is still one of the most exciting periods of the history. Next to the Castle, Utrecht Amsterdam has Floris v granted also commissioned for the construction of five other castles, to fight against the West Frisians.
- Castle Wijdenes: no remains
- Radboud Castle: the Castle (known as Castle Medemblik 35 km) is located in an area suitable for defensible and is surrounded on three sides by the IJsselmeer (formerly Zuiderzee). Castle Radboud is largely preserved and is certainly worth a visit.
- De Nuwendoorn: Foundations of this castle are enhanced in the vicinity of the Park Zijpersluis (4 km) the village of Eenigenburg. An observation tower on the foundations is built to give visitors a better view of the Castle.
- De Middelburg. There are no remains of this castle to see more.
- De Nieuwburg: only the foundations are still visible. Combine the prospect of these foundations with a walking tour of the North Holland landscape "de zes Wielen" or with a visit to the Wellenbades "de Hoornse", Alkmaar. The car can be parked for free at the swimming pool.
All castles lay on or next to the so-called 'West-Frisian became'. This was / is a dike, which is located around this area. It is claimed that this was another project of Floris V, the dike had to stop flooding in the area. Floris had much expertise in the field of water management